You have probably by now read a number of the posts I wrote about reverse engineering glucometers. And while I have complained about the lack of documentation, and maintain a repository of reverse-engineered protocols, I have not really shared the tools I’m using for my work.
The first problem with this is that I’m using a closed-source USB sniffer. I’m not proud of it, but it proved itself useful and worth the price, since the alternative that Microsoft suggests (Message Analyzer) appears not to be working for me, and USBpcap is not supported on Windows 10
(at the time of writing).
Update 2020-10-24: looks like the Message Analyzer was retired in 2019, and is no longer available to download. But USBpcap does now support Windows 10, so there you go.
The native file format of USBlyzer is a CFBF container, but it also includes the ability to export the sniff to text CSV. Originally, I had to fight quite a bit with that, because version 2.1 of the tool produced a mostly unserviceable CSV – in particular the actual packet data was in an unmarked column – but the current version (2.2) is actually decent enough.
I have been working on these CSV, parsing them into a Python structure, and then manipulating them to produce what I refer to as “chatter” files, which is the format you see in my blog posts usually. These are just hexdumps (using the hexdump module) prefixed with a direction of the packet and the packet number, to make it easier to refer to the raw trace. The scripts I’ve used for this translation have evolved quite a bit, from a set of copy-pasted CSV parsing to building a dedicated module for the parsing, to the latest version that separates the idea of reassembling the higher-level protocol packets from actually producing the “chatter” file.
All of these scripts are yet to be released, but I hope to be able to do very soon. I’m also planning to start working a way to access the original CFBF (
.ulz) files without requiring the UI to convert to CSV, as that should make my life significantly easier, as it avoids the most boring step in the process, which relies on the Windows UI. Luckily, there is an olefile module that allows you to access these files and the streams in them, I just not have started looking into what the structure of the content is.
I did contact the original developers of the software, and ask them to publish the file format specifications, since they should not contain any special sauce of their business case, but they told me they won’t do that, because it would require them to set in stone the format and never change it again. I told them I disagree on the stance, but it is their decision to make. So instead, I’ll be spending some time figuring this out in the future, feel free to keep reading this blog until I get more details on it.
One of the goals I’d like to have is the ability to convert the USBlyzer traces (either from CSV or their own format) to pcap format so that I can analyze it in Wireshark. This should allow me to make queries such as “Show me all the packets that have the fourth bytes as a value higher than 2” — which is indeed something I have been doing recently, in very convoluted ways. Unfortunately when I started looking on how to do this, I found out two things that made me very unhappy.
The first is that there isn’t a single way to store USB sniff in pcap format, but two. One is the “classic” usbmon one that you can get by building and loading the
usbmon module in Linux, and starting Wireshark. The other is the one used by USBpcap to save the information from Windows. These have different formats and (as far as I can tell) there is no easy way to convert between the two. I’m also not sure if the standard Wireshark dissectors apply to that.
The other problem is that the USBpcap format itself is so Windows specific that, despite documenting the whole format on its website, it relies on some constant values coming from the Windows SDK. And you can imagine that depending on the Windows SDK for a Python utility to convert between two file formats is not a great idea. Luckily for me, Wine also has a header with the same constants, but being able to copy that code into the conversion utility means there’s a bit of work to do to make sure I can publish it under the proper license — as I would like to keep every tool’s license the most liberal I can.
You could be asking why on Earth I’m not using virtual machines and just good old standard usbmon to solve my problem. And the answer is two-fold: the laptop I’m using to do the development is just not powerful enough to run Windows 10 on a virtual machine, particularly when having to run Java software such as is the case for Contour, and on the other hand I don’t have enough USB ports to dedicate one to the virtual machine for attaching the devices.
I have an alternative plan, which involves using a BeagleBone Black and USBProxy, but I have not started on that project, among other things because it requires a bit of a complicated setup with USB Ethernet devices and external chargers. So it’s planned, but not sure when I’ll get to that.
Also, speaking of Wireshark, a quick check by using usbmon with my tool and the FreeStyle Libre (because I travel with that, so it’s easier to test on the road), tells me that here is something not quite correct in the HID dissector. In particular it looks like it only recognizes the first report sent by the device as an HID packet, when the response is fragmented into multiple packets. I need to spend some time to track that problem down, and possibly figure out how difficult it would be for me to build further dissectors that can reassemble the higher-level protocol, the way TCP and SCTP sessions can be displayed in Wireshark already.