This is a very brief post, which is just going to tell you that all the old content which was originally written on the b2evolution install at Planet Gentoo, and which was then imported into the WordPress install at Gentoo Blogs, have been imported into this site instead.
This basically means that Google will start indexing the old posts as well, which will then appear on the custom search’s results, which is why I went through the trouble. In particular yesterday’s post was actually linked to a very old problem which I enocuntered almost exactly seven years ago (time flies!) but finding it was a bit of a mess.
So I saved a backup of the WordPress data, and wrote a script to create articles in Typo starting from it. The result is that now there are 324 extra posts in this blog — unfortunately some of them are noise. Some of it because the original images they linked to are gone, others because at some point b2evolution went crazy and started dropping anything where UTF-8 was involved, as can be shown by the original and the truncated version from the Wayback Machine. I’ll probably import the two articles I found being truncated.
After the import completed, I also deleted the WordPress site on Gentoo’s infra. The reason is simple: I don’t want to have two copies around, with all the broken links it has (nobody set up a remapping of the old planet links to blogs links), the truncated content and so on. There are a number of things that need to cleared up with the content, and links that went from this blog to the old one need to be fixed as well, but that’ll happen over time, I don’t want to sweat it now.
I’m happy that my content is back with me.