The future of Unpaper

You might have read it already, or maybe you haven’t, but it looks like Berlios is going to close down at the end of the year. I wouldn’t go as far as calling it the end of an era, but we’re pretty close. Even I have a few projects that are (still) hosted on Berlios and I need to migrate.

Interestingly, Berlios is also the original hosting for unpaper which makes me forking it a couple of months ago a very good move. Especially since if I waited too long, the repository wouldn’t have been available.. even if it’s true that the repository didn’t really contain anything useful, as it was just an import of the 0.3 sources.

At any rate, since Jens didn’t reply to my inquiries, I’ve decided to start working on a more proper takeover of the project. I have created an unpaper project page on my website, to which I switched the live ebuild’s HOMEPAGE and GitHub’s website, as well as created an ohloh project to track the development.

Oh, and I released version 0.4. Yeah I guess this was the first thing to write about, but I wanted to make it less obvious.

The new release is basically simply the first cleanup I worked on, so new build system, no changes in parameters, man page and so on. Right after releasing 0.4 I merged the changes from the new contributor, Felix Janda, who not only took the time to break up the code in multiple source files, but also improved the blur filter.

Now, the next release is likely going to be 2.0; why skipping the 1.0 release? Well, it’s not really skipping. Before Berlios shuts down I wanted to copy down the previous list of downloads so I can mirror those as well, and what I found is that… the original version number series started with 1.0, so it’s mucked up badly; in Gentoo we have no problem since 0.3 was the only one we had, but for the sake of restoring consistence, the next version is going to be 2.0.

What is going to happen with that release? Well, for sure I want to rewrite the command-line options parsing. Right now it’s very custom, as long options are sometimes prefixed with one, sometimes with two dashes, and in general it doesn’t fit the usual unix command lines; not counting the fact that the parsing is done as you go with a series of strcmp() calls, which is not what one expects, usually. I intend to rewite this with getopt_long() but the problem with that is that it will break the command-line compatibility with unpaper 0.3, which is not something I’m happy about. But we’ve got to do that sooner or later if we want a more well-blent tool.

I hope to also be able to hook into the code a different way to load and save images, using some already present image decoding and encoding library, so that it can digest images in different formats than simple PNM. In particular, I’d like to be able to execute as a single pass the conversion from multiple files to a multi-page TIFF document, which requires quite a bit of work indeed. But one can dream, can’t I?

In the mean time, I hope to find some time this week to find a way to generate man pages on my server so that I can publish more complete documentation for both Ruby-Elf and unpaper itself. This is likely going to be difficult, since I’m starting some new tasks next week but.. you never know.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s