It was last month that I noticed the release of the new series of Sudo (1.8), which brought a number of changes in the whole architecture of the package, starting from a plugin-based architecture for the authentication systems. Unfortunately when I went to bump it, I decided to simply leave users updating to 1.7.5 and keep 1.8.0 in
package.mask simply because I didn’t have time to solve the (many) quality issues the new version reported, starting from LDFLAGS handling.
This morning, during my usual work tour-de-force, I noticed the first release candidate of 1.8.1 series that is due to come out at the end of this week, so I decidd to finally get to work on the ebuild for 1.8 series so that it would work correctly. I didn’t expect that it would take me till over 6 in the morning to get it to work to an extent (and even then it wasn’t completely right!).
While looking into 1.8 series I also ended up getting the 1.7.6 ebuild updated to a more… acceptable state:
- the infamous S/Key patch that I’ve been carrying along since I took over the package from Tavis didn’t apply on 1.8, mostly just for sources reorganisation; I ended up converting it in a proper autoconf-based check, so that it could be submitted upstream;
- the recursive make process wasn’t right in the 1.8 releases, so even if the package failed to build, there was no indication of it to the caller, and thus the ebuild didn’t fail – this is probably something I could write about in the future, as I’ve seen it happening before as well – I was able to fix that and send it upstream, but it has also shown me that I was ignoring one of the regression tests failing altogether, which is worrisome to say the least;
- since I had to re-run autotools, I ended up hitting a nasty bug with packages using autoconf but not using automake: we didn’t inject the search path of extra m4 files, even though the eclass was designed with
AT_M4DIRin mind for that; it is now fixed, and the various autoconf/autoheader steps provide the proper path conditioning, so that even sudo can have its autotools build system updated.
- while looking at the ebuilds, I decided to change both of them from
EAPI=4; it didn’t make much of a difference by itself, but I was able to use
REQUIRED_USEto express the requisite of not having both PAM and S/Key enabled at the same time — even though I didn’t get this right the first time around; thanks Zeev!
- another piece of almost “cargo code” was left in the ebuild since I took it over, and it was in charge of adding a few variables to the list of variables to blacklist; since this was done through the use of sed, and just with the 1.8 series it stopped working, I never noticed that it was nowadays meaningless: all those variables were already in the sudo upstream sources; I was simply able to drop the whole logic — not to self: make sure never to rely so much on silently-ignored sed statements!
- today while at it (I added rc1 this morning; moved to rc2 today after Todd pointed to me that the LDFLAGS issue was fixed there), I reviewed the secure path calculation, which now treats the gnat compiler paths just like those for gcc itself;
- the sudo plugins are no longer installed in
/usr/libexecbut rather in the so-called pkglibdir (
/usr/lib/sudo); this also required patching the build system.
I hope to be able to unmask sudo 1.8.1 to ~arch when it comes out. With a bit of luck, by that time, there won’t be any patch applied at all, since I sent all of them to Todd. And that would be the first version of sudo in a very long time built from the vanilla, unpatched, unmodified sources. And if you know me, I like situations like those!
Unfortunately, I have never used nor tested the LDAP support for sudo, so I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work with sudo 1.8 series in Gentoo. Pretty please if somebody has used that, let me know what needs to be fixed! Thanks.
Okay, @1.7.6_rc3@ and @1.8.1_rc3@ are in tree now, and the 1.8.1 version includes all of my patches. Once it goes stable, the version of Sudo available in Gentoo will be totally, absolutely vanilla, using the upstream sources.Of course, next time I should also get myself a mirror of the repositories so that I can keep my “usual backports-like repository”:https://blog.flameeyes.eu/2…
congratulations!I’m really enjoying reading your blogs, though I seldom understand 100% from a technical perspective … but this one is definitely good news 😉