As I said before, the tinderbox is hardly parallelisable but on the other hand, it can yield much better results if multiple instances are being executed, independently, by more people. Of course, this also requires that the executions are somewhat coordinated so that they don’t execute the exact process over and over, but rather some slight variation (different architecture, compiler, flag, basic USE settings, etc.).
Now, while Mark has been working on setting up a tinderbox for PPC64, I wanted to publish the scripts that I’ve been using all this time; I did so a few weeks ago by posting them but since then more problems and more solution came up. So today thanks to Tomas (why does the roll call show the “normalised” name? I’m pretty sure his name is not just ASCII) I started publishing the scripts in a public git repository which both other developers and interested users can use to improve, simplify and extend the tests.
If you look at the scripts and compare them with the old versions, you can see that I have made a few important changes, the first of which would be the presence of
bti in them. Yes, I’m currently denting away the tinderbox results so that you all can follow them. This also gives a bit of insight of how the tinderbox works even to those who don’t want to look into the dirty details of the code.
The rest of the changes are vastly thanks to Zac: the first is that the merge operations are now running with
--update --selective=n so that all the dependencies are considered as soon as possible, this solves some nasty deadlock cases, like gvim, vim and vim-core dependencies rolling around to the point of being rejected by portage. Unfortunately, this also calls for having a way to get some package out of the build loop; and I don’t think that a complex solution like Gearman is what I should be looking for now.
The other change is still incomplete for now as I wait for bug #295715 to be released: when a package fails to be merged (right now only if the ebuild fails; once complete even if it fails because of collisions) it gets masked in a temporary file that is cleaned up at the next restart of the round. This way when a dependency fails all the packages that depend on it will automatically be rejected (or will keep using the old merged version if present, or fall back to an older version if that works). This helps reducing the time wasted trying and re-trying the same package over and over again.
I also dropped the test for
AC_CANONICAL_TARGET since that produces way too much noise, and it’s rather something that could be made to work with the static analysis idea that I got. With that, it’d be also easier to check for bashisms and other issues without adding noise to an already full log as those of the tinderbox are.
There is one very heavy check that is that to ensure that binchecks-restricted packages are not installing ELF files; the original idea for that restriction was to avoid running a number of ELF checks and mangling over non-ELF packages, such as kernel sources, fonts and similar. That is quite an issue when using virtual systems (where I/O has a nasty overhead) and is pointless for packages that we can be sure will not install executables; unfortunately a few developers seem to think that it’s a shortcut to avoid dealing with the ELF QA checks, instead of filling the boring bits that tells Portage to expect QA failures.
To reduce the chance of something breaking further down the road due to .la files removal I’ve also made sure
lafilefixer is executed on every and each package.
And finally I’ve created a “restart” script that deals with the long procedure of restart of the tinderbox: it syncs, check if gcc has changed, if so makes sure that the
as-needed version is selected. Right now it also deals with ghc updates, in the future I hope to be able to handled own all that kind of updates together. The problem there is that I don’t think the script works that well when something fails, as it’s mostly untested for now; and the updater scripts often don’t support the
--keep-going option that is exactly what I’d like to use to avoid the domino effect.
In the next days I’ll try to write some more details into what things I end up checking along the way, may be of help to others who want to run their own tinderbox.