So I ordered a pair of in-ear phones last Sunday, to make sure I could sleep decently at least once in a while. Since my last pair, which was Sennheiser brand, broken in less than an year (even though I did abuse them quite a bit with the various staying at the hospital), I decided to go with a brand suggested to me by a friend, Shure.
I couldn’t find any Shure hardware in the store near me, so I ordered them through the Apple Store, which works quite well especially when it comes to rapid delivery, indeed they arrived this afternoon. I opened the package, and started inspecting the box. It’s not the usual plastic blister, which is a nice change, especially for the pricetag of the thing, but when I felt around it to check labels (it’s something I do almost without thinking nowadays), I noticed something quite scary:
No clue about which chemical it is, if it is dangerous to be exposed to it by ingesting it, drinking it, or just using the earphones, or any other specifics. I called the Apple Store just to confirm the thing has the RoHS certification and they assured me it has. But still.