Luckily, seems like some people aren’t scared by the wheels they have in front of them.
As the Gentoo Java team recently merged their work for the next generation Java-related ebuilds, as nichoj revelead us, I’ve decided to give a try to Kaffe, as that’s also my only hope to get Java working on Gentoo/FreeBSD.
Unfortunately it’s absolutely not ready for prime time. As soon as I tried it, I had it crashing, it ended up being two banal NULL pointer dereferences, so I just fixed them and patched locally. But this didn’t actually helped.
The problem seems to be that everything I try to run in kaffe, it can be either Konqueror’s applet server or jrisk the same, I get a StackOverflow exception. I’m not sure, it might be because I’m in 64-bit, but I have no clue how to test and debug this issue.
I hope Kaffe will improve soon, but in the mean time I find myself forced to have at least one binary jdk to work with, unfortunately.
Too bad 🙁