No peace for me, another xine bug

Seems like there’s really no peace for me here 🙂 When I’m not writing documentation on debugging, I’m debugging myself.

While listening to a few songs I seen amaroK displaying just up to the first quote character (‘) and after a while I decided to go looking for the bug. The problem is reproduceable with both VLC and xine-based software, probably because they are similar one to the other. The problem is not restricted to one station, but it’s rather in the shoutcast protocol handling.

I think Helix does the work sufficiently well to look at its sources to see it, but the Helix site is a real mess. There’s no live CVS access a part from developers, which kinda sucks, and there seems not to be a snapshot of their HEAD development (Helix 2.0).

I’ll have to browse the last release to see if I’m able to find the problem and fix it in a -r10 of xine-lib 😉

By the way, the kdelibs problem was indeed due to a binutils bug; if you use my overlay, I’ve added the patch there.

Update: bugs found, identified and corrected, in both xine-lib and VLC, although they are not that alike. I did patch xine to use a strategy more similar to VLC’s, and fixed VLC to be more precise, this should fix the problme now and forever 🙂