–as-needed part 3 (and misc)

Follow up the other post from today.

First of all, the gimp-print patch is now committed in portage, so you just need to sync and if you are using –as-needed it will emerge just fine. There’s still something that is not really “clean”, as one of the binaries built by it links to the library installed in the system, but that’s not related to –as-needed and I left it out for now.

wxGTK and aMule are still not fixed. While aMule built the first try, it didn’t start. Now wxGTK builds, but then anything fails to link against it because of undefined references. And yes, I’ve filtered –as-needed from both wxGTK and aMule. That is going to be a looong standing problem for now.

Other than that, I’ve yet to see something else failing today, so it’s a quite interesting result for now. To be safe, I’m currently finishing building my whole system using –as-needed. I used a few tricks to get the packages I’ve already rebuilt in the past two days so that I don’t have to rebuild them. It’s still an impressive emerge: almost 500 packages! Many of them are modular x, tho.. it would be interesting to see how modular x will behave with that.
metalog failed, but I’m not sure if it’s related to –as-needed as it fails with a compiler, rather than linker, error in configure.

Update: okay, metalog’s failure is totally unrelated to –as-needed, it was rather a problem with confcache. I’ll see to fix that after all this emerge is done.

Update 2: Sebastian sent me a list of gnome packages that fails to link with –as-needed, I’ll give them a look in a chroot and see what I can do to fix them. Usually the fixes are simple, it’s not the case of libww, that I’ve just given up fixing. The problem is that libwww defines a lot of small libraries interdependent without setting the dependencies. I’ve given up for now fixing it, but the fixes are possible. It just requires more time that I have right now. I have a patch for net-snmp but I have to test it first.

And as I promised some misc news, not related to –as-needed… first of all I want to thanks the PaX Team for providing fixes for TEXTREL problems with xine-lib’s and vlc’s win32codecs loaders, now they should be both fine with that. This does not mean that xine-lib is 100% TEXTREL free yet, but we’re approaching it. I also got a patch for libdts, but if you’re having trouble with that, simply rebuild it, I didn’t want to revbump it but it’s now fixed for x86 and builds with PIC (by using libtool correctly).
Then from the KDE herd view, I have committed a change to kde eclass that I had prepared a while back and discussed in kde@g.o alias for a couple of weeks. Basically now the kdeenablefinal flag does not appear on all and every KDE-based package on the tree, but only for all the packages in kde-base (because they all support it) and if the package defines kdeenablefinal in the IUSE by itself (as amarok ebuild now does). This does not mean that you’re going to lose kdeenablefinal on the packages that doesn’t have the useflag anymore, because before it was simply being ignored by all the packages not in kde-base; this time instead if a package supports it (like amarok) it will actually be used!

And to close this entry, the system rebuild will also show me how much space is required to have a -g3 compiled system with splitdebug, currently I have 5.7GB of /usr/lib/debug directory.