Seems like Gentoo/FreeBSD 6.0 will take some more time…
I started working on beta3, and then moved on beta4 that was released today, I had a couple of problems with freebsd-lib but today I got it to complete… the problem is that the sonames changed and.. I broke the system.
I’ll rescue it later, as I have the binpkg of everything, but it’ll take a bit until I can figure a good way to have a quite transparent upgrade from 5.4 to 6.0 .
In the mean time this doesn’t means that I have to stop working on Gentoo/FreeBSD 🙂 thanks to Christoph I still have a Gentoo/FreeBSD box for the maintenance of 5.4 🙂
Now, I have a couple of solutions in mind, but both are a bit hacky: the first one is to use an upgrade script that builds system profile static and then installs the new one, so that the different soname doesn’t mess it around; the second one is to slot on $RV (Release Version, it’s 5.3, 5.4, 6.0), and provide an upgrade script that disable collision protection, installs the 6.0 ebuilds, that will overwrite the 5.4 ones, recompile with revdep-rebuild the (quite entire) system, and then removes the 5.4 installed files.
I’ll see what is simpler, a complete re-emerge of world is anyway needed, so… this will also help with elibtoolize changes.
On a secondary note, with Betelgeuse I prepared a workaround to have Java virtuals satisfied on Gentoo/FreeBSD: dev-java/kaffe-sdk is a dummy ebuild (for now just on Gentoo/FreeBSD overlay) that provides the two virtuals with 1.4 version, RDEPEND-ing on kaffe so that it will be used as system jdk and jre.
I’ve set, after that, the default virtuals to the dummy ebuild and un-masked java useflag. Please note that it’s better if you try to use dev-java/kaffe ebuild from http://gentooexperimental.org/svn/java/ overlay.